[TCML] How about some Tesla Coiling?

Chip,

I have a challange for everyone, including me.  In the early days, when Tesla's coils were used for everyday attainable things, like powering an X-Ray tube or lighting some Geissler tubes, there are a bunch of table top models of machines like this:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2006/MiscOscillators/index.htm

In many texts, the smaller versions of these coils are described as making a 6" spark with 5 - 30 watts of input power.  I think as a collective group of enthusiasts we should work on something similar - something attainable, on topic, and still requiring a fair amount of skill to accomplish.  I am willing to give space on my website for this topic, coil photos, etc. - I think its a great opportunity to demonstrate the efficiency of some of the modern circuits people are using to replace the kicking coil design Tesla originally used.

(I can stick to the old designs because its all I know.)

There is a point when all of the "theory" arguments are "point-less" to a certain extent.  I have a firm belief that until we can at least replicate the simple things Tesla did, and get it right, we have no reason to expect we can accomplish greater things, if that makes sense.

30 watts, 6 inch sparks.  To Tesla it was child's play, as these little units seemed to litter the tables of his labs in so many photos.  In the 1897 lecture he mentioned 12" with 35 watts of power, but maybe we can keep it simple to start!

Jeff Behary