Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Problem: Capacitors?

In a message dated 2/16/08 10:18:45 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Scott  -

Are you sure that you are not confusing "series" and "parallel"  connections?

You describe your MMC tank capacitor as using .047 @1600  caps, wired "two
strings of 12 in parallel" for a value of .0078  uF.

If you actually have them wired this way, your MMC value is .282  uF, not
.0078 uF. Twelve .047 uF caps connected in parallel yields a value  of .564
uF.
Connecting two twelve-capacitor "strings" together in series  will yield
.282 uF, much larger than what you need for  resonance.

Verify how your MMC is actually constructed. Two  series-connected strings of
12 capacitors each in parallel, or two  paralleled strings of 12 capacitors
each in  series?

Hi All,

    I believe that the misunderstanding  here is that standard English has
become a lost art on the Internet.   I suspect the phrase  "two strings of 12 in
parallel" should have  read  "two strings of 12, in parallel". It's like the
difference between  "Eats shoots and leaves" and Eats, shoots, and leaves"
;^)) When a single  misplaced comma can result in six or seven emails, it
validates the complaint  some of us old-timers have had for years about carelessness
in  communication.

Matt D.

Awards. Go to AOL Music.