From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Lau, Gary
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:30 PM
To: 'Tesla Coil Mailing List'
Subject: [TCML] RE: Just starting out...

Hi Steve,

The opinion of most on this list is that products from Information
Unlimited are extremely overpriced, and there are mixed opinions about
the quality of their designs.

If the plans call for a .01uF/10kV mica cap, that is a needlessly
expensive design.  Such a mica cap is very rare and expensive, and a
much more economical equivalent should be made using polypropylene caps.

The best source for an 18 Amp Variac is at a ham fest or flea market.
If there are none in your area, eBay always has a large selection.

I just noticed that the product you're talking about is plans for a
vacuum tube Tesla coil.  I have no personal experience with a VTTC, but
it's not something I would recommend for a beginner.  Beyond the caps
you mentioned, there are several other components that will be
challenging to find, and there are just many more things that are likely
to go wrong.  Spark gap coils are much more tolerant of part
substitutions, and there are many more for you to look at on the web for
you to copy.  You may wish to look at the table top mini coil on my web
site for something easy to build -
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/minicoil.htm

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA