Re: [TCML] c/w multiplier coil

Clive Hansen wrote:
Hello Everyone,
Some time ago I built a Crockroft-Walton multiplier to quintuple the voltage of a power supply for use with a small coil. Recently, the multiplier was hissing and losing a lot of power to corona. So, I decided to operate it under oil in a coffee can since it is a small multiplier. I sunk the whole multiplier in a coffee can filled with motor oil. The can is metal, but the components are all at least 3/4 inches from the sides. The assembly worked exceptionally the first several times I ran it. However, when I power it up now, there are no sparks from the coil. Directly shorting the multiplier yields only 2-3mm long sparks which are very faint, whereas before it would produce 1.5in sparks when shorted. Also, when powered on, the transformer makes an odd clicking noise which I did not notice before. Does anybody know what the problem is here?

ALmost certainly you have some sort of arcing internally. While the oil suppresses the evil hiss of corona, that doesn't mean it's not still arcing somewhere. You might be building up charge on some part and it periodically arcs over.

Try it in a non-conducting can to start.