From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of bartb
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 6:18 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil

Hi Everyone,

Sometime back (quite a while I guess), I remember photo's of a pretty
good sized coil with a large sphere top terminal (I'm thinking about 20"
diameter). For some reason, Gary Lau comes to mind but I'm not sure. I'm
curious of big sphere's and the system that drove them. I'm looking at
breakout voltage as based on surface field strength and it would be nice
to know a little something on the basic specs of those coils.

So if anyone meeting those specs isn't too busy with life, please post
some specs. I don't need the whole gap scene or anything of that nature.
Just the basic secondary, top load, cap, and power supply data. Also,
was a breakout point required or not would be nice to know.

Reason: I'm advising someone regarding a rather large coil with a very
large sphere. From my calculations, the sphere I think is too big for
breakout on it's own. Calc's are one thing and those of you well
experienced with sphere's may help fill the gap of uncertainty.

Thanks,
Bart