Re: [TCML] Clarification sought on transformers

Hi Steve,

Here are some newbie-clues to good transformers:

 1)   The more popular brands in the US are  Franceformer, Jefferson,
Magnetek, Allentown, Actown, and Transco. Of these,  Franceformer has a reputation
for being the electrically "sturdiest", although I  have used all brands
successfully, and over the years, at different times,  have also managed to destroy
all brands. ;^)
2) Most of the neon transformers good for TC work fall into the 20 to 70 lb
weight class and are at least 10 years old.
3) They usually have a "rating plate" on them that will specify secondary
voltage, current, and frequency. For a beginner, you want one rated 9 kV to  15
kV and current of 30 mA to 120 mA. Be sure to note if the input is in the
110-120 V range or 220-240 V range. Also check for 50-60 Hz ( Older models  may
be marked " 50-60~". )
4) If you shake it, it should not rattle. Slightly chipped insulators are
probably OK, cracked ones are not.
5) If you remove the top cover, there should not be any large, visible
cracks in the "tar". Tiny "air-bubble" marks or scratches on the surface are  OK.
6) Take an Ohmmeter with you. The DC resistance from each HV terminal to  the
ground terminal should agree with each other within 5%, and should range
from a few k-ohm for larger transformers to the 10 k-ohm range for smaller  ones.

This does not guarantee a good, working transformer, there may be other
problems that won't show up until you put power to it, but it's a good  screening.

Hope this helps,

Matt D.

In a message dated 2/19/08 10:37:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,