Re: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil

Hi David,

Thanks for the coil specs. Very appreciated. Fr should have been near 150kHz in an enclosed garage environment.

Nice coil! As Dr. R. mentioned, it's a good coil design. Turns at 1300, decent primary inductance, LTR with the piggy, excellent distance between coils, Q about 234, and large top load effective C at about 39pF. This coil could hit 80" spark lengths on occasion with a gap designed to run efficiently for about 1200W across the gap. Very nice possibilities with this 4" diameter coil. Not sure what you've achieved with it, but I can see that it is capable of hitting between 3 and 4 times the secondary length (this occurs but not common). Top load voltage I'm estimating would attempt 370kV but is likely breaking out at a lower voltage.

Thanks again for sending specs.
Bart

david baehr wrote:
Hi, just your basic Ol' coil : 4" dia sec wound to 24" , #26 wire Pri.- .25" copper tube /flat spiral ...1.25" spacing from the sec., .25" spacing bettween turns (12 total ), tapped at the 11th turn. homemade poly oil caps (TCBOR ) APPROX .028mfd (this is a guesstament , I dont have a cap meter right now. 1" copper pipe gaps , with two good sized muff fans for cooling. Power : 1.5kva "baby pig" , ballested UP TO 3kva Top Load,...four 8" SS Gazing Balls , outer most surface of balls set at 27" (balls are on telescopic brass tubing, and can be spread out further, this is basically a copy of the topload on the Piranha Coil ,Thanks Terry ! ,(but, im to cramped for room for that to help much
                                    Freq. ?   I haven a clue   :-(