Re: [TCML] Polishing Metal (ie Brass) after machining . . .

Dan;

I use a three-step polishing compound with three cotton buffing wheels on
a bench grinder. Each buffing wheel is 'married' to it's compound so that
the coarse compounds don't contaminate the fine compound wheels. Sears and
Ace hardware normally carry a good selection of compounds and cotton
buffing wheels. Don't recall if I've ever seen these at building supply
stores but they might.

I start with Tripoli (brown) move up to white rouge (white) and finish
with red rouge (red). The brass looks like solid gold when I finish. Sears
sells a 4-compound package for around $6.00 that also includes emory cake,
but the emory is to aggressive for anything as soft as brass or aluminum.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00902896000P?keyword=polishing+compound

BTW, as an aside; You wouldn't believe the amount of static that charges
up in me while polishing. Every time my hand contacts the bench grinder's
metal shield get a nasty discharge! I finally attached an ESD strap to my
wrist as a remedy.

Daniel Hess

"McCauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
02/20/2008 11:45 AM
Please respond to
Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
[TCML] Polishing Metal (ie Brass) after machining . . .

Another machining question . . .

What is the best way to finish and polish metal (such as brass,
aluminum), once it is machined?

Thanks
Dan