Re: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil

Hi DC,

I couldn't tell if you were asking about my gap or Davids. If the gap I spoke of:

The pvc is epoxied to the squirrel cage fan. Only one inlet on one side of the pvc. PVC is about 4.5" diameter. 1.25" diameter copper tubes epoxied to the inside pvc. .050" between electrodes. The fan sucks the outside air into the pvc and out the fan through a 3.5" chamber on the outlet of the fan. Not sure of the CFM as it's not written anywhere. But it is high and similar to shop vac velocity I guess. It's much higher than muffin fans including the big 8" muffin fan I have which runs on 240Vac.

As you can tell, I'm not a "FAN" of muffin fans. They are just lousy for spark gaps over 1kw or so. Much depends on the gap itself of course. Once I got good performance with this particular fan, I then played with various pipe diameters including the solid brass stock I once told you about. The large copper tubing was very superior. I'll never use small 1/2" copper pipe again nor solid stock. I've seen the difference. Gaps have to handle the power given. I've ran this gap at 3.6 kva for extended periods without degradation of the spark length. I don't know what it's max power handling is however. I'm happy with it.

Take care,
Bart

resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Is it enclosed in a PVC tube, or open air?

What size CFM fan are you using?

Dr. Resonance

what size pipes ya using on yours ?    mine are 1" dia, 'bout 4" long
with two good sized muff fans for cooling,

     it will stay stable for long runs at 3kva ,.....I used 2" dia in the
past,...although they stay cooler, the smaller dia seems to perform
better.......

Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:08:38 -0800> From: bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil> CC: > > Hi
David,> > I'm musing here as I haven't built a pressurized gap.> > I
personally love my high cfm vacuum RQ style cylinder gap using large >
segments, which I can run near 3 kva with just fine.> > Take care,>
Bart>
_______