To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gap

Hi Scott,
I absolutely don't have any data supporting that claim.  It's really just
"received wisdom" :)

One of the problems with the classic RQ gap is that unless it's baffled
correctly, most of the airflow goes through the copper pipes and through the large central gap, with relatively little going through the tight space between the pipes. This is just fine for cooling but not so great for air-blast style
quenching.  Though of course, cooling does help with quenching.

Henry

Quoting huil888 <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Henry -

This sounds plausible, but do you have any actual data (scope waveforms, etc) that would support the claim of better quenching from a "propeller gap" vs a conventional static spark gap?

The data would have to be generated from a test setup where the only variable was the substitution of the two different types of gaps.

If you have data, could you share it with the List?

Regards,
Scott Hanson

----- Original Message ----- From: "Henry Hallam" <hallam@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:42 PM

Among other things, the propeller gap is better at quenching (shutting off the spark), especially at high power.

Henry

Rich Schmuke wrote:
I am going to ask a simple question but please give a simple answer. I am not a EE just a builder. I was asking about a rotor gap the other day and it was suggested I try a propeller gap for my 200ma coil. Well I have a motor from a 8" hard drive now and am going to build a mount as soon as it is warm
enough to get to my shed. My question is why is a propeller at 3600 RPM
better than a RQ copper tube gap? 60 cycle RQ vs a 3600RPM it's the same
break rate I think.

Rich