Re: [TCML] Filter Choice

Yes,

They are very different and for very different purposes. EMI filters are  low
voltage side of the NST devices for keeping RF hash generated by your coil
out of your house lines and out of your (and possibly you neighbors' )  other
electronic devices. A Terry filter is a high voltage side of the NST  device
designed to keep killer high voltage spikes out of your transformer.  Terry
filters were developed right here by our former moderator, Terry Fritz,  hence the
name. . It may seem pricey, but after the first couple  of toasted NST's  it
will seem cheap.  IF you can properly set a  safety gap and NEVER be tempted
to fiddle it a bit wider, and never have a  ground lead come loose, then you
can probably get by without a Terry  filter. There are, of course, those who
don't believe in Terry filters, (or  seatbelts, or bike helmets, or condoms, or
not smoking, or safety glasses, or  some combination of these) It's up to you.
How lucky to you feel?

Matt D.

In a message dated 2/23/08 9:23:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,