RE: [TCML] Teaching Coiling

Some of my stuff deleted...

> There is a lot of basic physics and math that is common to
> all designs but
> to promote one stream of information conveying "the way" to
> build a coil
> smacks of top-down nanny-state cultural marxism and will result in:
>
> #1) - much less innovation and
> #2) - much more frustration
>
> Talk with you later!
> Dave (who dropped out of college to learn)"

Ed's reply to my stuff:

> 	Based on how other subjects are generally taught I
> would espect the basic math and physics would have been
> taught first, with design of actual systems to follow.  Note
> that the basic principles of all of your examples are the
> same.  The MMC [a great invention for amateurs] is an example
> of improved components and the SSTC is an example of the use
> of new components [semiconductor devices] and methods of excitation.
>
> 	I doubt if anyone would actually pick Tesla coils as
> the main subject of a course but would rather include them as
> examples of the use of coupled circuits.  They differ from
> conventional double-tuned circuits only in their design
> parameters and waveforms and in the comparative ease with
> which those of us who are nuts about sparks and stuff can spectacular.
>
> Ed

Absolutely!  I did not mean to suggest that the basics should not be learned
when starting out to build a Tesla Coil.

There is a definite call for a basic "TC Building Bootstrap" FAQ:

#1) - starts with basic electrical theory (Power and Ohm's laws)
#2) - moves on to basic electrical, high voltage electrical and mechanical
safety
#3) - basic construction techniques and choice of materials
#4) - concept: resonant circuits and the different Tesla Circuits -
Classical/Solid State overview
#5) - power transformers, what to look for, what works (and what to avoid)
#6) - capacitors, what to look for, what works (and what to avoid)

I think that one of the downsides of the email list format is that although
all of this information is at Pupman (and FIDO) and has been explained
several times in different ways, someone starting from scratch doesn't know
where to start searching and when they run into a place like Information
Unlimited, they think they died and went to heaven.

My objection to teaching in general is that it assumes a top-down structured
"this is how it's done" sort of regimentation and for something like Tesla
Coils, where there are so many wonderful variations and designs, this simply
doesn't work.

A FAQ would be a good thing though...

Dave

Checked by AVG Free Edition.