From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Lau, Gary
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:04 PM
To: 'Tesla Coil Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [TCML] Spark gap

A couple of additional points not dealt with in previous responses...

1) If your power supply is indeed rated at 200mA, that's pretty beefy.  Most
static gaps are used at much lower power levels, and may have trouble with
the current you're talking about.  A rotary gap may be better here for that
reason alone.

2) Any static gap, RQ or otherwise, is unlikely to operate at 60BPS, or
120BPS.  All static gaps operate in what can only be described as a chaotic
mode, with the BPS varying widely from second to second.  A long-term
average is typically far higher than the mains frequency, usually in the
range of 150-300BPS.

For NST's (the only thing I have personal experience with), a sync 120BPS
RSG is better than a static gap because it allows one to use a larger cap,
resulting in a larger bang.  Spark length is all about using the biggest
bang possible.  And it guarantees that each bang is identically and
maximally sized.

Regards, Gary lau
MA, USA