Re: [TCML] Filter Choice

Hello Scott,

You'll likely get many replies. You need to adjust the spark gap across the transformer "without" a cap installed (just the gap and transformer alone). If you try to adjust the spark gap in the system with the cap connected, you will no doubt open the gap too wide running the risk of transformer and/or cap failure.

Here's the basic idea: The transformer puts out some peak voltage. We want the gap to be set wide enough so that breakdown occurs at the transformers rated peak voltage and no higher. The only way to ensure this is to have the gap connected across the transformer directly without any other components connected. Then find the greatest number of electrodes that the gap will arc consistently. That is then your "proper" setting. Now when you install all the components, you can be ensured that your gap is set to the transformers "rated" output voltage and no further. That's the basic idea.

Take care,
Bart

Scott wrote:
"And if you're at all unclear on what it means to properly set the gap,
please ask!"

My spark gap is made of of 8 copper electrodes about 1 mm away fom each
other. My current method here was just to start the gap at at one electrode,
and then increase the distance one by one until it can't break down the air
anymore.  I understand as you increase the distance, and NST has to pull
more current, so if there is a better way to calibrate it, please let me
know.

I actually had to stop it today because at a certain voltage pull, I think 4
electrodes, there was arcs across the cap bank (as in the caps were putting
out orange arcs that shorted out nearby ones in the wrong way across the
circuit).  I think putting them on a PC board wasn't a good idea :(  Anyway,
I'm going to remount them on a plastic panel and get some better insulation
there to eliminate that little effect.