Re: [TCML] Gaps

Hi Bart, I've used the same technique, but then after the epoxy cures, then I drill &?bolt them in.? I was always concerned that,?without bolts,?heat might cause a pipe?to?fall out of the epoxy bond.? If you've never had that problem, it looks like the bolting in place is unnecessary.? That would be a big time saver.? How do you connect the wires to the pipes...I assume alligator clips or something?

-----Original Message-----
From: bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 4:59 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Gaps

Well said Brian!?
?
I remember all the gaps you mentioned. I personally like to epoxy my pipes to the pvc. Reason is that I can accurately set each pipe exactly at the distance I need and perfectly parallel. I tried bolt methods in the past and it's just not the best way to do it. I install one pipe at a time letting the epoxy cure between each pipe installation. I use a feeler gauge between each pipe and let gravity aid the exercise. Not hard to figure out really. It's so easy it's ridiculous. A perfectly symmetrical RQ gap can be built on any given Saturday. Parts needed is your pvc tube, copper pipes, feeler gauge at the spacing wanted, and one tube of clear high temp two part 10 minute epoxy.?
?
Here's 10 steps on how to build a perfect RQ pipe gap (or any type of pipe gap):?
?
Step 1) Mix small amount of epoxy and apply a 1/4" strip along the length of one pipe.?
Step 2) Mount pipe to pvc (epoxy side to pvc tube) and ensure it is parallel in the pvc tube.?
Step 3) Let pipe cure for 30 minutes.?
Step 4) Mix another small amount of epoxy and apply again to second pipe.?
Step 5) Mount pipe next to first pipe (epoxy side to pvc) parallel to first pipe.?
Step 6) Insert feeler gauge between pipes and leave it there.?
Step 7) Turn pvc tube so that the new pipe is forced onto the first pipe and pvc tube by gravity (~45 deg angle).?
Step 8) Block pvc tube into position so it doesn't roll and wait 30 minutes.?
Step 9) Repeat above steps until all tubes are in place.?
?
Step 10) Install fan, connect wires, run coil, take photos, share photos with TCML.?
?
Take care,?
Bart?
?