Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 4:04 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Gaps (Brown PVC)

Agreed. I've built some of the largest Ozone
generators in Georgia. However, I've been working with
PVC for decades, including in the tropics, and UV
alone will not only brown, but completely destroy pvc
pipe in only a year or so of sunlight. How much more
UV does our spark gap put out than the sun?

Adam

--- Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Don't just think of UV. There are a lot of nasty
reactive ions around the
gap including ozone and NOx. Also simple copper
oxide deposition is black
and will stain too.
Peter  http://tesladownunder.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Rieben" <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> ... Even Bart backed off of his original statement
> a bit by restating that he wasn't necessarily
saying that
> the UV would not cause browning of the PVC, only
that
> IF the temperature alone was causing it, then
there ob-
> viously was a serious deficiency of cooling. I had
thought
> that the UV was the issue in my case too but it
had been
> so long ago that I had forgotten many of the
details and
... However, the posts that you and Adam
> have sent in concerning this does seem to verify
my suspicion