Re: [TCML] using smaller caps

Clive,
   My first OBIT coil used a tiny capacitance and ran for a long time
(still running, though not very frequently anymore).  Generally it is
agreed that a larger than resonant cap is best for an NST, but you can
get away with most values that are not close to resonant.  A resonant
value is what is particularly damaging to an NST.  As a side note, I
might add that some people use very small capacitances, much lower than
resonant and even less than STR, and get great performance.  Look at Ed
Wingate's Magnifier coil for example, .05 uf, 16 foot sparks, you just
need to keep the breaks per second high (800+ bps)!  It is pig powered,
and generally people run .07-.15 on pig coils, so .05 uf is very low.
     Still there are programs to calculate the capacitance of your
homemade cap, and you can  always add more sheets to get a LTR value.
Good luck.

Scott Bogard.