Re: BPS measurement, was Re: [TCML] Spark gap

Hi Phil,

When I first thought of this, I thought of course antenna. But, then isolation came to mind. And of course, fiber optics followed. The gap runs cool enough that heat won't be problem with the cable very near the segment. I might need to however limit pvc reflection from the other gaps. Not really a big deal there either. Gary does bring up some good points. HF is may affect the signal and I'm not sure how the light is actually to react even over a single break down. Like everything else I do, I'll just have to experiment and find out.

Yes, this is right down Terry's field of expertise. He's probably got all the parts necessary just lying around somewhere. I'll pick up new components. Although I do have some fiber optic couplers, cable, and whatnot, it's pretty old technology.

Take care,
Bart

FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx wrote:
After my post, I gave it some thought. My criteria still are: *pocket sized
    *battery operated
    *direct display of BPS
    *works with vacuum tube, solid state, as well as  spark gap coils
    *cheap and simple
I'll add:
    *range from 100 to 1000 BPS
    *accuracy of +/- 5%
I thought, as you did, that light from the gap might be a viable measurement point. But it would be difficult to get down near a gap on a running coil, and if you were too far from the gap you'd likely get interference from reflections and the secondary arcs. Besides, that wouldn't work on a vacuum tube or solid state coil. I figured the antenna method might be the most reliable. I drew up a very simple input end, which on further research turns out to be the standard AM detector circuit (no surprise!). This should turn the decaying sinusoid output into a pulse train. From there, I figured one could run it directly into a digital tachometer panel meter. But those things go for $50+ new, and I don't have a spare sitting around. I looked at the digital photo tachs the model airplane hobbyists use for tuning engines. They run around $20. Maybe it would be easy to hack one (and even use for the basic project box!). Heck, they might even work as-is if you just point it at the gap. Or you could run the pulse train into a Freq-to-voltage converter chip, and drive an analog meter (but tough to keep 5% accuracy at the low end of the scale. Maybe not so important, as the 10x range would be handy enough? Or run the pulse train through the usual manipulations, and drive a 3-digit LED 7-segment display. Still cheap and simple, but tedious for me. I'm sure there's somebody here who would get some satisfaction from designing the simplest way to implement this. I was hoping Mr. Piranha would, since this would be right up his alley, and "Terry Tach" has a nice ring to it. ;) Wouldn't it be great to pull out a little gizmo at a Teslathon, and start comparing each other's breakrates? Yeah, it doesn't get geekier than that, but it would probably reveal a lot and allow for meaningful discussion without the usual speculation and hand-waving. -Phil LaBudde
(yes, I own several oscilloscopes, but I'm lazy)

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

**************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living. (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/
2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)