Re: [TCML] Tuning idea

Why bother with all this.  Copper tubing works fine.  Oil is an acrylic
sealed container is a recipe for disaster.  Ask me how I know.

I did it once for a HV cap container and it just does not work --- oil
will seep out, get on a carpet or floor, and then the wife will lynch you.
 End of your hobby.

That's one reason why CSI and Maxwell use welded polypropylene cases.
Acrylic is less expensive but very difficult to seal as oil seeps out of
nearly everything unless the seal is near perfect.

Sure, maybe is could be done, but a 100 lb tunable capacitor is not a good
choice.  Caps can be dangerous enough but a large cap could be both bulky
and dangerous.

Dr. Resonance

> hello all,
>
> would it not be possable to make a jig to cut out 50 1'
> diameter semicurcular plates then assemble half onto an
> alumimiun shaft spaced with washers, and fix the other half
> to a sheet of al, then put every thing into oil on an
> acrylic frame...
>
> ben
>
>> Harold, Gary, all
>>
>> Regurgitation is the name of the game.  :-)
>> Allow me to do so about the Ambassador coil. The primary
>> tapping  arrangement was successful, and still functions
>> to this day. Tapping on the fly is quite possible if you
>> do it right. Still my favorite primary.
>>

> http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/ambassador/primary/primary.htm
>>
>> Cheers, Finn Hammer
>>
>> Harold Weiss skrev:
>> > Hi All,
>>

>> > I do remember seeing a picture of one primary in which
>> > the tap point was  motorized and could be changed during
>> > a run.  IDK, but I'd think the  system would have
>> > problems with arcing and welding itself.
>> > David E Weiss

Dr. Resonance