Re: [TCML] mot questions

Thanks, Rich. I've seen your flickr pics before, I didn't realize that you're kd0zz. Now that I know that's you, I hope to someday pick your brain (and anyone else's who's willing :) re: using vacuum tubes. I first became interested when I went to Boston's Museum of Science to see their high-voltage/tesla show. I was especially interested when I saw the small coil running virtually silently. I could get into the idea of coiling without wearing earplugs. My daughter's critters in the tanks on the other side of the basement would probably appreciate that, too. They get a little "restless" when I start cranking out the arcs.

Neal.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Schmuke" <rdj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:33 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] mot questions

Neal
You are right, but let me say how my system works. I installed a inductive
ballast so it would not max out my components. I control my current max with
a ballast , my varaic then brings up the voltage, if all things are going
right I can go for max voltage and not blow my transformer.
My "hard-headedness" required me to read and reread many things before it
soaked in. I am a mechanical guy not electrical guy. I know how to make any
thing mechanical , I have to think about the electrical parts. Look at my
pictures on Flicker, http://www.flickr.com/photos/kd0zz/, I did not have to
think on how to make the variable cap, but the soft start relays on the
power supply was trial and error.

Can some one else jump in and help on this , some times I am not always
clear.

Rich