Re: [TCML] pole pig question ###

This is how I would hook it up.

Connect 240 VAC to the transformer primary with the variac connected in series in one of the lines.

Put a choke coil on the each High Voltage terminal and connect them in parallel with the spark gap.  Do not ground any of the HV terminals.

Connect a wire from the other side of the spark gap to 1 side of the capacitor.

Connect a wire from the other side of the capacitor to the inside turn of the primary coil.

Connect a wire from the other side of the spark gap to the aligator clip wire that goes to the other end of the primary coil.

No choke coils in the HV lines at the primary coil.

Connect the bottom end of the secondary coil to a GOOD earth ground.

Connect the strike rail around the outer edge of the primary coil if you have one to earth ground too.

Toroid or sphere for the top load.

Turn on the 240 VAC crank up the Variac and adjust the primary tap for best resonance frequency.  Needless to say always turn off the voltage before moving the aligator clip to another primary tap.

Be sure you have a cooling fan on your spark gap other wise it will over heat and your coil will produce sparks for only about 10 seconds or until the spark gap gets too hot to function correctly.

I like to use 12 guage solid copper insulated house wire for all my connections it makes it very easy to bend the wires and put them exactly where I want them and they stay there.  Make sure all wires have plenty of clearance to prevent arcs to other places.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gary350/tc10-4.jpg

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=563_1188208737