[TCML] The forgotten Curtis Articles: The Basics Of Tesla Coiling

Hello all,

I found these articles fascinating.  Plain and simple, Tesla Coiling pioneer Thomas Stanley Curtis describing the very basics of Tesla Coils -winding a coil, and making a condenser.  (There's a third article in the same issue on a mercury jet interrupter to-die-for, unrelated to this post specifically)

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/CurtisBasics/index.htm

I find it most interesting the notes on adding resistance to the circuit and opening the spark gap wide to get induction coil-like and static-like sparks.  I've demonstrated this at lectures before with Pancake Coils, and never have seen it done with cylindrical coils (though knew logically that somehow it must be possible too).  I'm going to try and make 2 of those 7x18" coils he mentioned.They sound great for doing lectures.
I already started a few reproductions from the Curtis High Frequency Apparatus Book:
Dec 2007 - Classic Curtis Oudin Coil:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2007/OudinCurtisStainedIoBB/index.htmNew coils for Jan. 2008:http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/2008CoilsStaining/index.htm
A small experimental coil:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2007/FranksCurtis/index.htm
Curtis Sparks:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2007/TSCOudin/index.htm
Curtis "Kicking Coil" from 2004:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2004/CurtisBehary/index.htm
So far, all of information Curtis has published seems right on target!
For those that have wondered what Curtis looked like, here is a photo directly from his son, now in his 80s:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2007/TSCfromTC/index.htm

I think its one of neatest Tesla Coil photos outside of those of Tesla himself.  The apparatus shown are all directly from his books,homemade transformer/spark gap/edge-wound helix primary, and at barely 20 years old a master craftsman by all standards!

Without getting into arguments on plant growth, there are also two additional articles on Tesla Coils for horticulture:
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/CurtisGardening/index.htm
http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/CurtisGardening/index2.htm

These go along with those later published in his book.

Jeff Behary