Re: [TCML] Phase tuning gadgets and when to set the gap to discharge.

The issue with the small oriental motors is that they're so

weak that they need a?light-weight rotor to permit them to

go into sync.?

The proper phase setting depends on both the particular NST used,
and the cap value used.? It would be hard to predict or calculate this.
Best to just adjust for longest sparks.? For a 120 bps sync system,
an LTR value cap must be used for the Tesla tank cap, for best
results.?

The proper cap value for the phase shifter circuit is around
3 or 4uF if I remember correctly for the small oriental motor.
The proper value will give a 5volt resonant (above line voltage)
rise across the
motor terminals (max) at some point along the phase
variac's travel.? A 10volt rise is acceptable also.? The proper
value phase cap is selected by trial and error by measuring
this resonant rise across the motor terminals.

240 bps will generally give shorter sparks, and would require that
additional electrodes be added to the rotary gap.

??? ?http://futuret.110mb.com

Cheers,
John