RE: [TCML] Poly thickness

> From: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [TCML] Poly thickness> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 07:36:57 -0500> CC: > > Hi Bart,> > I seem to recall back in my early days on this> list, around 2000 I believe, that the school of> thought on this list at that time was to space> wind the secondary coil to reduce the aforemen-> tioned distributed C. Now it seems that we have> finally "wised up" to the fact that the increased L> is a good trade off for the increased distributed> C with close wound secondaries for maximum> spark length vs. available power.> > David Rieben> > >

  thats what I was wondering ,....a spaced wound coil has less inductance , But increasing the dia. would bring the inductance back up ?

       would a spaced wound also be less likely to have racing arcs ??

           a 4" dia. COIL , wound tight with #26  might perform as an  8"dia. coil spaced wound (same wire , same winding length ) ? but with an electrical advantage of turn to turn breakdown and MAYBE  fewer racing arcs ???

    dont know if that all makes sense :-( ?                   in other words, if ya wanna space wind,..make a BIG FAT secondary ??