Re: [TCML] secondary size, and caps

VDC is Volts Direct Current.  Your VDC value should be equal to 2.5 x Erms
(voltage rating of your nst).  With a 9 kV 30 mA nst, the correct rating
would be 9,000 x 2.5 = 22,500 Volts DC (pulse) rating for the series cap
bank.  Yes, the MMC caps run fine on AC provided by an nst.  You should use
a minimum of 12 MMC caps in a series string, which gives .0125 uF (12.5 nF)
at 24 kV DC --- a safe margin above the 22.5 kV DC rating required.

The shorter coil will see slightly decreased performance, approx 7% in spark
length.

I stock MMC caps if you need them.  Contact me off list.

It's also a good idea to spacewind the last 2 turns on the top end of the
sec coil.  This slowly reduces the capacitance and removes some of the
stress off the last turn.  Just space it the thickness of the wire using
string and then remove this spacer after the AC-43 has begun to set up
(before it gets totally hard.

Dr. Resonance