Re: [TCML] I think I ruined my 6" secondary.

Hi David,

I found that interesting as well. I have to say that spar varnish has held up well. Oldest coil is 11 or 12 years old and the coating still looks new. The flexibility of spar varnish is no doubt why, and that is due to the tung oil. Here's an interesting write-up of finishes that helps spread some light on the various varnishes out there and some of their properties including spar varnishes.
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/ChoosingFinish.htm

Take care,
Bart

David Rieben wrote:

Hi Scot,

So you're saying that the Behr's 50 will eventually
deteriorate over time? I think that's the first negative
trait that I've heard mentioned about this stuff. Well, like I said, it takes a bunch thin coats of the Minwax Marine Spar Varnish to build up a shell of decent thickness but I agree with Bart Anderson that this is one of the best commonly availabe products for the secondary coil coating. My Spar Varnish coatings
have always lasted for years w/out significant dete-
rioration in my unclimate controlled shop. I had thought that the Behr 50 epoxy would be great but your comments about its lack of long term durability have got me questioning its suitability now....

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "bunnykiller" <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 7:05 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] I think I ruined my 6" secondary.

Hey David..

The pour on stuff I used was Behr 50, a 2 component material. It was very nice to use, thick like an epoxy ( I believe it was an epoxy) once dried it was somewhat resiliant, but after a few years it becomes very brittle and when you bump the coil, the wires seperate from the coating, leaving large "air gaps" between the wire and coating. I do have to admit tho, the exterior finish has held up to years of abuse with minimal scuffing ( still shiney) and one more thing, the Behr 50 is quite prone to the effects of holding a charge on the coil ( very strong zapping capacity :) on my 12"X5' secondary it was like being hit by a Taser, couldnt move my leg properly for a couple of minutes after the main shock).

Scot D

David Rieben wrote:

Hi Phil,

Can you tell us what the name of this stuff is? I have heard
of Berh's "pour-on" but have never been able to find a pro-
duct by that particular name in my local building supply stores.
(Plenty of Berh's paint products, but no Pour-On).
I have been using the Minwax Marine Spar Varnish on my
coils for the last several years now with good success but
of course it has to be applied via multiple thin coats to get
a reasonably thick coating.

snipperz