Re: [TCML] Breakout Point

Usually the breakout point does not limit the streamer length.
However I seem to have a vague memory that in one test using
a very large toroid which the spark could barely break out of,
that the coil did better without the breakout point.? I'm not sure
though, I'd have to look back at my notes, if I can find that detail
(in the notes).? One part that I do remember however is that
without the breakout point, I had to tune the coil a certain way
to permit breakout.? With the breakout point I was able to tune
the coil a different way (different tap point along the primary).
I was able to use more primary turns with the breakout point, and still
get breakout.? In this case I was actually tuning the coil such that
it was in tune only while producing a spark (due to the capacitance
of the spark).? Logically this should have produced a longer spark,
and it may have.? So this would conflict with what I first said above.
I'd have to check my notes.? With this tune?point, the spark could
not break out without the point, because it was not in tune
before the spark formed.? Since the spark never formed, the?
coil could not get into?tune.? A breakout point was needed to
permit breakout despite the?coil being detuned, then the growth
of the spark brought the coil into tune.? So in this rather special
case, a breakout point may have actually resulted in a longer
spark.? In any case normally the use of
a breakout point doesn't affect the spark length.? Well there is
one other case.? If you have a toroid with many bumps on it, then
it may produce multiple streamers, none of which are very long.
In that case using a breakout point may force the coil to produce
a single, but longer spark.? Most of my work in this area was done
at 120 bps.? Coils may behave a little differently at higher bps.
I've also done higher bps tests, but mostly?using somewhat
rough toroids which can give confusing results perhaps.?

I've touched upon some aspects of coiling above which are
not discussed all that often, especially lately.?

Cheers,
John