[TCML] RE: Winding the primary

What is the nature of your standoffs?  I've heard some struggle with primary supports that were actually a series of holes through plastic plates, and they were trying to thread the tubing THROUGH the holes.  A sure way to go crazy and make a mess!

Primary supports are typically combs - a series of slots that the tubing simply drops into.  See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/primary.htm.  Is this similar to what you have?

BTW, in my response to the post asking about what kind of hardware to fasten the supports with, I assumed that this was to attach the supports to the underlying base plate, and metal screws are fine there.  I later realized that I also use nylon screws to fasten hold-down strips to the tops of the combs (see photos in above link), as the heads straddle two primary turns and could promote a short between adjacent turns.  There's nothing mysterious or insidious about using metal hardware near the primary or secondary.  One just needs to exercise common sense about not putting conductive things where they may create an unintentional short.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA