Re: [TCML] Winding the primary

Thanks guys,
I think I'm going to try the charcoal grill method, and if quenching isn't necessary, all the better. (for the fish, too! :)

Neal.

David -

I don't believe copper (as used in refrigeration tubing, etc) requires any post-anneal quenching to achieve a "dead soft" condition.

I read Article 25 several times, but could find nothing about quenching as a required step for annealing copper.

There was brief mention of water quench as part of the process for annealing exotic zirconium-copper and chromium-copper alloys, but that's not applicable to common copper refrigeration tubing.

An interesting technical paper with temperature vs hardness annealing curves for copper shows that no quenching is required to achieve maximum softness.

 See:
 http://www.wsp-ingenieure.de/deutsch/downloads/paper_TBerrenberg_08.pdf

 Regards,
 Herr Zapp