Re: [TCML] Stacking vs Large Diameter

bartb wrote:
I believe Ed Sonderman put the cylinder between the toroids to add a little contribution to capacitance. However, I've never looked at that aspect since Javatc had the capability to decipher it. Ok, well, I took a whole 30 seconds of my life and looked at it.

I used the default coil in Javatc (default toroid dimensions are 6.25" x 21").
Ctoroid = 23.286pF
<snip>
Certainly beat out the dual stack. Only 50% increase with a single toroid and I've certainly beaten the dual stack even at 14" separation! So, why the need for dual, triple, etc.? No real need, more convenience and mechanical in nature. If you have them on hand, use them. If you just happen to have a nice 10" x 32" toroid lying around, then use it!

Take care,
Bart

I think that increasing Ctop is probably only part of the story. You also get good benefit from controlling the shape of the field to reduce breakdown along the secondary, etc. And that's most likely the biggest benefit of dual toroids.

Jim