Re: [TCML] Stacking vs Large Diameter

jimlux wrote:
I think that increasing Ctop is probably only part of the story. You also get good benefit from controlling the shape of the field to reduce breakdown along the secondary, etc. And that's most likely the biggest benefit of dual toroids.

Jim

Hi Jim,

How does the field shape affect breakdown along the secondary in this situation? The secondary is already well shielded and if coupling is not set too high, there shouldn't be breakdown along the secondary (single or dual toroids).

Maybe I'm not understanding the type of breakdown your referring to? Racing sparks? Secondary and primary strikes from the top load? In Ed Sonderman's case, the bottom toroid was a little smaller than the top, but a good sized toroid probably acting like a huge corona ring of sorts. Sparks emanated from the topmost toroid. It certainly kept the sparks up nice and high and out of harms way of the secondary or primary. Maybe this is what your referring to?

Take care,
Bart