Re: [TCML] Spark gap assembly, acrylic?? and toroid size

Hey John...

I havent built the spark gap as shown with the aluminum holders but I did build the one without the aluminum... I had it running on a coil that was powered by 4 15/30 NST's in paralell and it worked quite well. Eventually tho, I had to clean the surfaces of the tubes due to oxidation etc. I found that adding a small fan to the unit increased its quenching too... see link below for pictures

http://members.cox.net/bunnikillr/sprk.htm

As far as plastics, obtain a cutting board ( white plastic 1/4"+ thickness) from places like Wal Mart etc. Usually they are made of HDPE
( Hi-Density-Poly-Eurathane).
acrylic,polycarbonate,lexan,plexiglass are ok for low temp applications but can be either brittle or "gummy" when machined ( altho Lexan is great at low speeds and cuts nice) normally clear in color
Perfboard isnt really a plastic its more of a laminate/epoxy combo
MMC's are good on either HDPE, perfboard or G-10
Sparkgaps work best with G-10 due to the heat produced
Primary coil, once again HDPE

Toriod size "normally" is about the same over dia = to length of secondary and smaller dia =to a bit less than secondary dia.
example, you have a 20X4.5    toroid would be good at  18-20 X 3-4

a second primary on a different power supply... ummm I would say no. a bi level primary on a single supply would work... someone on the list has done so but I dont remember who did it... I dont know if it increased output tho, seems to me it wouldnt..

A magnifier is a "2 coil system", it has a very tight coupling coeficient on the 1st primary/secondary coil which drives a second secondary and toroid. Special design considerations must be made to get this type of system to work properly. Antonio has some great literature on this type of coil...

Scot D

John Matok wrote:

I'm nearing the end of construction (for now) and I have 4 questions.

1) Has anyone tried to build the spark gap described on this page?

http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv-old/misc/scotsgap/index.html
How do you think it will work?  It looks fun to build.

2) I know I'm not supposed to mount stuff (MMC, spark gap, primary coil) on
wood because it contains moisture (right?).  So I've been told that I should
use many different plastics such as perf board, HDPE, Lexan, PVC, plain old
cutting board, acrylic, polycarbonate, and polypropylene.  That's all a
little overwhelming!  Is there a difference, what should I use, and where
can I find it?

3) This has probably been discussed before, but I can't find any thing
definitive.  How big should my toroid be?  I'm planning on using aluminum
ducting and pie pans.  I've got a 9/30 NST and a 20" tall 4.5" diameter
secondary.

4) Is it possible to add another primary under an already existing one and
attach it to a different primary circuit?  Would that double the output?
Maybe I'm describing a magnifier.  I'm not sure.

Thanks

John Matok