Re: [TCML] pole pig ballasting

In a message dated 7/16/08 3:11:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bunnikillr@xxxxxxx writes:

>there are several methods of ballasting a piggie, the best I have  seen
>so far is to use an EI frame with about 18 -20 sqr inches on the  middle

>column for 30A worth of capacity

    I made my ballast by cutting up a 3-phase 25kVA  drive isolation
transformer for the metal. I made the core dimensions 3 inches  by 3.5 inches. That's
10.5 square inches. My ballast core stays cool,  even during 60A runs. The
windings get a little warm, but I went cheap and  used four parallel windings of
12ga THHN.
    My point is, 20 square inches seems like a lot of  overkill for only a
30A ballast. You shouldn't need that much iron!  Even if you used mild steel, it
has a low permeability but  it takes a lot to saturate it.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities