From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Mark Olson
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 9:17 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Jacob's ladder plasma "Rope"

Hi all,

Most of the time the arc climbs with a "ragged" sound
and appearance. The plasma flame is rather ragged
and shimmers much like a real flame. However, once
in a great while (probably on the average of one climb
out of several hundred arc ascensions) the arc climbs
with a very smooth 60 hz. hum and kind of gently "rolls"
up the rails with a smooth, 1/2" to 1" thick rope-like ap-
pearance. It will usually curl and stretch out unusually
far before finally breaking at the top of the rails, too. I
really like this beauthiful effect but it seems to occur all
to seldom and I can't seem to determine a "rhyme or rhy-
thm" for how or why it occurs when it does occur. I would
assume that it has something to do with the air currents
and such? I was just wondering how many others have
experienced this effect and if anyone had any ideas as
to the probable cause for this effect or if it could be re-
liably repeatable upon demand?
Pondering,
David Rieben

I have seen this once or twice with nst xfmr jacob's ladders made with
large
(1/2") rods
and stiill air.  Perhaps putting it in a clear tube would help "figger"
it
out. ?

Marko