[TCML] Sucker Gap

I just hooked up my new NST to my sucker gap to test gap width.  A very odd
thing happened.  It had what appeared to be a power arc inside despite the
vacuum motor running.  There was a 2mm thick plasma rod in the very middle
of the electrodes that extended down the tube.  With every other transformer
I have a ring of blue sparks forms around the outside.  Only a half circle
of blue sparks formed this time, in addition to the plasma in the middle of
the gap.  Could this be a sign that my sucker gap ... sucks?  Perhaps it's
time to upgrade to a rotary?  If it can't even quench the NST without a cap
there's no way it can quench it with one, right?

Has anyone else seen this before?