Re: [TCML] Primary selfC

On Friday 25 July 2008 10:36:15 pm bartb wrote:
> Probably closer to a 3 turn primary versus the
> 4 turn stated. But something else that needs to be understood is the
> size of this 1mm spaced, 4 turn, 2" width, ribbon coil. It has a large
> "surface area" to it's adjacent turn. C is going to be large, but maybe
> not as large as plate C would indicate.

It would seem to me that in the steady state condition (where there is some
amount of charge on the coil, not talking about when the charge is rushing in
from one end, or out of the other) that all (most) of the charge carriers
(electrons, holes, imaginary jumping cows, whatever) would be consentrated on
the inner surface of the inside turn, and the outer surface of the outside
turn, as well as on the edges of the ribbon, where they can see free space or
other objects around them that are at a different potential. Between the
turns, in the spaces there, the charges on the conductor are the same
polarity so they would tend to repell each other, or squeeze out leaving
these spaces more or less empty. So I would expect the capacity of such a
coil to be closer to a cylinder, or "square toroid" with the outer surface
area coming into play, and the inner surface area being ignored.

Just something out of a bad dream. Going back to bed.

later
deano