Re: [TCML] Primary selfC

Hey, if you dig up the patent mentioned, I would be interested in reading.

   Howzabout Tesla's patent #512,340 "Coil For  Electromagnets"? I've been
thinking of this patent ever since this  discussion came up.

   _http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat512340.pdf_
(http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat512340.pdf)

Wasn't that the bifilar wound coil ? as in low inductance ? I recall a lot of these tests were done on JLNlabs a while back. Going from memory (which is never good) I think they concluded that this type of coil worked much better as an electro-magnet. Though looking at the figures, the result was the coil pulled like 5 times more amps so of course the EM would be 5 timers greater... Its a bit bizarre in a way, to wind a flat coil as it gives max inductance, then bifilar wind it to cancel the inductance... Even so, If the coil is ran from a DC source then it would seem to me that it would be pointless as inductance or XL wouldn't be an issue anyway... Suppose it depends on the application.....

Chris