[TCML] Chicago Science & Industry Tesla Coils (& flat ribbon primary)

Touching on the ribbon primary thread...

Recently on a trip to Chicago we visited the Museum of Science and Industry. They have two Tesla Coils on display. One is in the lower level on the way to the submarine just after the circus display room. The second is on the top floor near the giant Wimshurst machine.

The first is quite strange in that it has a very tight primary/secondary coil near the floor, then an overly elaborate top load with a round top and small spikes. It's mostly hidden behind other displays of medical equipment so I didn't get a good picture.

The second is in it's own display box. I'd guess the secondary was about 24" in diameter and maybe 4-5 feet tall. The top load is a quite small 4" brass ball. The wire appears to be silk and is NOT tightly wound. The primary coil is made of copper ribbon tied tight with cord, it appeared to be spaced from itself with wood filler. The plakard said Circa 1935.

I only bring this up because of the recent discussions. Seems strange to me that someone would have thought it a good idea to use this material "way-back-when" and before the internet and before high copper prices. I think the original poster might have been exploring ideas to make the primary coil smaller and cheaper. Might not be a very original idea when looking at this old coil.

http://i34.tinypic.com/2rfymmf.jpg
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2rfymmf&s=4

I'd love to build a coil like this, very mad scientist looking!!! But haven't been able to get JAVATC to agree with any of these parameters ... wish I had taken measurements while I was standing in front of it!