Re: [TCML] comments on designing a lightning protection system

Hi all,
It is not proper practice to use a handrail for a ground period.
Would you like to see your house or factory main wiring ground use a handrail as the system ground? IE, the ground comes out of your main breaker panel and connects to the handrail.

1) A handrail is not necessarily connected to any metal underneath the concrete or other material it is mounted to. 2) A handrail is comprised of jointed sections that are not designed to be electrical connections. If it were a true ground, every connection would have to be either strapped or soldered. Cold connections are not allowed. Even if the handrail was grounded, it is not a good, reliable conductor. 3) A handrail is usually galvanized steel pipe, not a good conductor of electricity. 4) If you want a lightning rod, you want only that grounded. A smooth round surface such as a hand rail will actually build a charge and be a potential attractor for lightning. Simple electrostatics are in play. 5) Proper systems have to have measured and tested grounds. A professional would have this documented for the record of installation. 6) There is a lot of info on the web, I found this simple article that clearly shows, this "professional" did not know what he was doing. http://disaster.ifas.ufl.edu/PDFS/CHAP08/D08-06.PDF It state materials and practices acceptable. The picture given show a few "don'ts" indicating the
"professional" has no understanding of a proper installation.

A simple question, would you use a metal handrail for the ground on your Tesla coil? From previous comments, I think I know the answer.

Thanks, Frank