Re: [TCML] Depotting Epoxy NST

On Friday 06 June 2008 10:34:37 am Phillip Slawinski wrote:
> I have a 15/30 Transco that's potted in epoxy.  I'm wondering if
> anyone knows how to depot these, or if I'm wasting my time trying.

In the past I have had some luck depotting small modules that were cast in
epoxy like solid state relays etc. by using an oxyacetylene torch with a fine
tip. The heat will decompose the epoxy into a rubbery gel like substance
which can be cleaned away with a fine brush. If the epoxy material is harder,
like for example Bondo brand marine fiberglass resin, the temperature
required is too high to salvage any components.

As far as using solvents, most common solvents will have no effect on cured
epoxy. Those nasty enough to do the job will likely remove the insulation
from the windings as well. There are some commercially available solvents for
that purpose, see:

http://www.dynaloy.com/Products/epoxy_products.html

Unlikely that they sell to the public, and also probably very expensive.

Good luck on your project should you decide to undertake it. If you do and
achieve success, please post your results and procedures as this is one of
those areas I would like to know more about.

later
deano