From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of DC Cox
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:55 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Greenhorn Coiler

It is almost totally dependant on how the shock is received. In
particular,
the path of charge transfer.

>From hand to hand, so the current flows directly across the thoracic
cavity,
and the chances of death increase dramatically.

>From right hand to right foot, less chance.

>From left hand to left foot, increased chances as the heart is in the
path.

Conact time period also enters into the equation.

Worst case, with alternating current, is the muscles spasm which
sometimes
does not allow one to "let go" of the circuit.

Certainly, no simple answers.   Pole xmfrs, PTs, and 120 mA NSTs,
directly
across the chest, hand to hand, usually result in death but not always.

Always unplug the unit before making any primary tuning adjustments.
Never
trust your life to a switch or relay.

Dr. Resonance

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:19 AM, G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > a 12-15Kv 30mA unit would be a standard choice. ( if you
> > get shocked by
> > this transformer there is a chance you will live, anything
> > larger and
> > the chance drops to 0).
> > Scot D
>
> I strongly disagree.  It's inaccurate to declare that any shock over
30mA
> gives zero chance of survival.  Were that true, I probably would have
died
> two or three times by now.  I'm sure several of my fellow list members
can
> recall painful, but nonlethal incidents in their professional and/or
hobby
> endeavors.
>
> I'm not a physician, but I do teach basic electronics using
professionally
> prepared materials.  According to USAF doctrine, the lethality of an
> electric shock is determined by numerous variables including the part
of the
> body that receives the shock, the age and physical condition of the
victim,
> the duration of the shock, the amount of current, and the promptness
of
> emergency medical treatment.
>
> Under tragically ideal conditions, 120vac might kill an unfortunate
> homeowner, while a power line worker who gets his hands blown off by
contact
> with a 66kv line survives.  I have survived very uncomfortable shocks
from
> 115vac/400Hz aircraft current, as well as fierce "bites" from NSTs,
while
> the national news outlets report several Taser (only 2-7mA) fatalities
every
> year.  Likewise, how often have we read about a lucky golfer who
survives a
> lightning strike with nothing worse than a painful flash burn!
>
> Except under carefully staged conditions, (like an electric chair!), a
HV