Re: [TCML] Toroid thickness effects

Mddeming@xxxxxxx wrote:
Unfortunately, there isn't a quick & dirty calculation of hold-off voltage vs D & d, although I'll bet someone on the list probably has done it. Hope this helps
Matt D
Probably not anything quick and dirty. It's one thing to have 2 known objects, but with a top load versus the air around it, only one is known and the other surface is always changing (the space around the toroid, conductivity, ionization, charged particles). I set out at one point to attempt such a feat (failed). There's no doubt that the radius of curvature affects breakout voltage, but that's about all you can say. Once breakdown occurs, sparklengths and performance are more about power and the momentary stored energy in the resonator as a whole. Larger top loads allow more stored energy, but it also should be small enough to allow breakout (or use a breakout point).

Take care,
Bart