[TCML] Safety gap, secondary coil, and coil mounting

I have a few more questions (certainly not my last) about tesla coil
building.  The project has taken off after obtaining my free NST.  It's
rated at 9KV and 30mA.  So far, I've purchased 1000' of 24 awg enamled
copper wire through eBay and have bought a 4"dia PVC pipe in hopes of
building a secondary.  I'm just waiting for the wire to arrive.  In the
meantime, I bought some supplies from Lowes hardware to build a safety
gap.  I ended up getting 3 brass egg-shaped drawer knobs.  I think
these will work.  Here are my questions for you all:

1) How can I determine the spacing for the safety gap?

2) The safety gap goes after the NST but before the spark gap and cap,
right?

3) Can I wind the secondary by hand?  I don't really have a lathe to
help me with that.

4) Do I have to seal the ends of the PVC pipe used in the secondary?

5) Should I varnish the PVC pipe before and after winding it?  If yes,
then why?  How many coats?  What type of varnish?

6) How much room should I leave on the ends of the PVC pipe so I can
attach the toroid and whatever goes underneath?

7) I see that many coilers have a two level table to keep their coil
on.  Why do you need that?  My guess is that the streamers from the
coil would short out the components unless they're underneath it.  Is
that true?

Thanks again.

Nicholas Goble