Re: [TCML] My 9/30 joins transformer heaven...

You can say to your self, "I will from now on use a safety gap regardless". Regardless of what? If the main gap is too wide, your safety gap is useless!! The number one procedure is to set the "main gap" correctly. If you do so, then a safety gap may help as based on your NST's robustness against high voltages. In some NST's, the margin may be low and it will be useless.

The fact is, you may have killed the NST even with the safety gap, Terry filter, and anything else hooked up! I did and none of those "safety devices" are fool proof. They do however increase our odds against failure. The "only" way your safety gap will work is if you have set your main gap correctly. This is the number 1 most important setting. This is our voltage we "clamp" at. I seriously doubt the safety gap would have saved your NST.

Most likely, your main gap was simply set too wide (in which case the safety gap would have been set wider and your NST would still have died).

Take care,
Bart

Ed Phillips wrote:
I know how you feel, I've burnt two large NSTs. The good thing is that I'm fairly certain I've figured out why. It had to do with my gap spacing being too wide or my break rate being too slow [in ASRG operation]. This resulted
in over-volting of the transformers and eventually death.  I've built a
static sucker gap, and I test all the gap spacing before hooking up the tank
caps now."

Ed