Re: [TCML] Are safety gaps necessary?

Hi Gary,

Thinking a bit more on this subject.

Looking at an NST coil, refer to my 4.5" NST schematic:
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/sch45.pdf

Imagine the safety gap noted in the Terry Filter removed. Now take a look at the main gap. It's blocked by the tank cap. All I have is the MOV's and NST. I already know the MOV's can't take it and it will speed up MOV failure. The NST certainly can't take it. If it wasn't for the charge rate of the cap, the main gap might do well as protection, but I think the tank cap time is going to cause the MOV's and NST so see the full brunt of the attack.

I think your very correct here. It's best to keep the safety gap in the loop.

Take care,
Bart

Lau, Gary wrote:
I slept on it and it dawned on me this morning.  What happens when a streamer strikes the primary?  If one exists, the 3-terminal safety gap fires, channeling the streamer's energy safely to RF ground.  If one didn't have a 3-terminal safety gap, the only path for that streamer energy is through the NST.  I think the NST would be happy that the 3-terminal gap exists!