Re: [TCML] Tuning vs Interference

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Lau, Gary <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Raising livestock and testing Tesla coils are both difficult for apartment
> dwellers.

Sadly, my attempt at raising cattle didn't work out too well.  I was hoping
to have better luck with the Tesla coil.  I think I'm going to get a house
after the lease is up.

>  In lieu of good RF ground, the standard advice for your situation is to
> tie the coil's RF ground connection to a counterpoise - the largest and
> nearest piece of metal that you muster.

Ah ha!  The back of the plasma television in our living room should do quite
nicely.  [I'm kidding, of course]  Essentially this is what I'm doing with
the drain spout on the side of the building.  I run a wire from the spout to
a 6" carriage bolt and pound that into the ground, but I hardly think that
makes a difference.

>  Think surface area rather than weight.  A long length of unrolled aluminum
> foil would be better than a barbell, for instance.

So the counterpoise is just like a big capacitor?