Re: [TCML] Single MOT Tesla Coil Power Supply

Hi Paul

seems to me you've just exactly described Mr Steve Conner's Tesla-2, which runs off a power supply built from one MOT and some sundry voltage-multiplying gubbins. The output of the voltage multiplier is dc, so there's some additional stuff (like an asynch rotary spark gap, charging inductor and de-Qing diode) required to make it go.

anyway, he's kindly documented Tesla-2 at

http://scopeboy.com/tesla/tc2schem.html

and (carefully following this design) I built a very similar coil that I've written a bit about at

http://hot-streamer.com/drilling/dccoil.html

with some photos, and everything.

I think the coil works well, but all-up it was more complicated to build than, say, a more straightforward design based around an NST might have been. Although possibly my soldering-ineptitude and general lack of handiness were at least partly to blame for this.

good luck anyway

Mike
Wellington, NZ

Paul McGlen wrote:
Hi,

I want to build a tabletop, 31/2 inch secondary coil using a single MOT. Does anyone know how to up the voltage to a reasonable level for a spark gap to work efficiently; a schematic for this would be helpfull? I was thinking about a multiplier circuit, but I am unsure of how that works in a Tesla coil and also if I use a multiplier, does this effect the value of the required tank capacitor?

Thanks in advance.

Paul M.