Re: [TCML] Ballastwith adjustable Core

> First thing, yeah, it's not laminated. Will eddy currents be a problem?

Yes, you are designing a 60 cycle induction heater to heat treat or melt a 3" x 12" iron slug.

> Second thing, assuming the above works, would the changes in inductance be linear as I slide the coil in and out? Is there a formula I can use for inductors with slugs? It's kind of not worth it if the coil goes from half power to full blast with an inch of slug movement.

If the core were laminated, you would get a linear control as the core is moved in and out of the coil.  What you probably want is some #14 soft iron wire that is coated with a thin layer of insulation such as polyurethane, cut it into 12 inch sections, and bound up into to a cylinder core. Works for me, though it will still heat some (it's pretty small)... I built a larger core of this type.

Richard