Re: [TCML] No-load NST's

>> In a message dated 6/25/2008 4:26:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
_Gary.Lau@xxxxxxx (mailto:Gary.Lau@xxxxxx)  writes:

<< Yes - I too have heard many times that running an NST with no load  will
stress its insulation beyond what it was designed for.  But it does  seem
unlikely that an NST should be designed to self-destruct should its  connection to
the load fail.  So being the skeptic that I am, I have to  wonder about the
origin of that belief.  Did it come from a source in the  sign or transformer
industry, or just a coiler who observed that an in-use NST  with a sign operates
at well below its faceplate voltage?

Gary Lau
MA, USA >>

Gary, all,

It's common knowledge in the neon sign trade that operating a neon
transformer for extended periods of time with no load, such as a with a broken  tube or
wiring, _greatly increases_ the chances of a secondary insulation  failure,
not only inside the transformer but also in the secondary wiring  itself.

I have owned and operated a commercial neon sign shop and plasma art studio
for almost 30 years, and I can say without a doubt that this is true. I'm not
saying that _every_ NST run open circuit will fail, just that it greatly
increases the chance the longer it runs. In fact, this just happened to a  neon
transformer on a border tubing installation at my own shop. I failed  to
promptly fix a bad tube, and about a week later the transformer went bad too.

So, it's not likely that you are going to kill your NST if you happen  to
hook it up without a load, unless you leave it that way for days, weeks or
months. What really kills them in TC usage is opening up that spark gap too  wide,
or the voltage ringing up to insane levels if the gap misfires a time or  two.
They really, really don't like any capacitance across their output,  even
extended GTO runs or GTO in metallic conduit.