Re: [TCML] No-load NST's

Phil,

My point exactly. They changed them so that they cannot be modified in  the
field, or by any practical means by the sign company or the sign  owner.
They're not really concerned about how they are used outside of  their intended
purpose.

GFCIs, called Secondary Ground Fault Protection (SGFP) on most NSTs,  are
required by the NEC (National Electrical Code) and UL 2161 spells  out the
Underwriters Laboratory standard for neon transformers, if anyone  wants to Google
it to learn more. Sadly, this was an attempt to reduce the  amount of neon
related fires caused by shoddy installations by untrained,  uncaring installers.
There's such a lack of pride and knowledge nowadays by  so many people in the
business, that UL was forced to try to remedy the  situation by trying to make
NSTs "fool proof", which also made them a real pain  in the backside to use.
UL 2161 is an ever changing regulation trying to  keep up with new developments
and situations, so you are likely to see more  changes in NSTs as time goes
by.

Another change that UL 2161 brought about is the floating secondary
midpoint. Before that, the midpoint of the secondary was grounded to the case,  but
now it is an insulated terminal. This secondary "ground potential" output
terminal is connected internally to the fault sensor, and it must not be
earth-grounded, unless you yank out the SGFP device first. However, some NSTs  with
SGFP may work fine for coiling as long as there is equal current on both  sides
and very little leakage to ground.

Tony Greer

In a message dated 6/27/2008 4:10:27 P.M.  Central Daylight Time,